Friday, 28 July 2017

Of birds and frogs!

We are now past mid-winter (surely?). I have been away for a couple of weeks in the UK (not much difference in the weather even if it is their summer!). It is nice to be home and I already notice the mornings are lighter. There are also lots of birds around with today's count at a very respectable 40 species. The highlights were the common myna, which I know is an invasive species and I am not supposed to like it but I do. The population in Foxton is a bit of an anomaly and I think the southern most one on the North Island.

                               

Also a treat was a close up of a yellowhammer who I always seem to have trouble getting close to. This is where a car comes in useful. This bird was spectacularly coloured. A sure sign that spring is on its way. 


Everywhere I went, there were small groups of goldfinch looking for grass seeds. Again, in my car, I just sat and waited for them to get close to me. This bird was quite orange on the head.


On my way back from my morning walk I nearly trod on this fellow. A fairly large frog. It wasn't bothered by me and after posing nicely, it hopped on its way. Thankfully it didn't move fast enough for my curious greyhound to take much notice. I think it is a southern bell frog and it was very pretty. 



No comments:

Post a Comment